Xiaomi is surprising us with new tech every other day now. The Chinese tech company has announced the new Surge S1 processor, which is also their first processor, in an event held in China. If we believe the previous reports from various sources, Xiaomi have been working on it since last 28 months. Xiaomi even launched a subsidiary called Pinecone just to develop a new processor for themselves, and now when they have one, the company plans to launch it in the upcoming Mi 5c.
Well, Surge S1 is a powerful and really advanced processor (we still need to wait to see it perform) with eight cores. out of the eight cores, four ARM A53 Cortex cores run on 2.2 GHz and the rest four ARM Cortex A53 cores are more power efficient and thus run at 1.4 GHz. In addition o that, the cores have been optimized with the “big.LITTLE” tech which allows the processing chip to provide “higher sustained performance, and increased parallel processing performance at significantly lower average power.”
TSMC’s 28nm technology along with Mali T860 GPU, 32-bit DSP and 16 kHz sampling makes the processor really unique. Not only that, the i-house ISP (image signal processor) provides much precise light sensitivity and helps the user click better photos in low light conditions.
With this new achievement, Xiaomi have become the fourth smartphone company to manufacture their own chips after Apple, Samsung, and Huawei. Well, this definitely is a huge step for a not so old tech company which invested a fortune in research and development.
But the accomplishment has its own rewards. Now Xiaomi will no longer have to pay Qualcomm or MediaTek for the processing chips. They have already been advancing at a fast rate and with this new chip problem solved, they can now focus on providing better products to their fans.
You can find complete specifications of new Surge S1 Processor below:
- Octa-core 64-bit chipset (4 – A53 cores 2.2GHz and 4 – A53 cores 1.4GHz)
- 28nm high-performance Computing (HPC) processor
- Mali-T860 quad-core GPU
- AFBC + ASTC image compression technology
- 32-bit high-performance DSP
- 14-bit dual ISP; Better image processing capabilities
- Surge ISP algorithm that enhances camera light sensitivity by 150% and helps in clicking better photos at low light conditions.
- Dual noise reduction algorithm reduces noise and preserves image detail in low light conditions.
- Upgradable baseband; programmable modem, which is also upgradeable
- VoLTE high-quality call and video call support
- Chip-level security
- TEE architecture, strict compliance with safety regulations
- 4K@30fps video playback
- Users can record video at 4K at 30fps, 1080p at 120fps, 720p at 240 fps
- Codec support: H.265 /HEVC(Main profile), H.264 (Baseline/Main/High profile), MPEG4 (Simple profile/ASP),
- VC-1(Simple/Main/Advanced profile)
- Supports device displays up to 2560×1600 resolution
- Supports 9V2A fast charging