Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer software, which is used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and communications protocol development, and education. Wireshark is the world’s foremost network protocol analyzer, which has a de facto standard across many industries and educational institutions.
Wireshark is a cross platform which has used the GTK+ widget toolkit in current releases of the Software. The Wireshark software allows the user to put the network interface controllers, which supports the promiscuous mode into that mode, by which user can see all the traffic visible on the interface of the software, not just the traffic addressed to one of the interface’s configured addresses and broadcast/multicast traffic also. It is only 21.12 MB which is available free to download in File Hippo.
Wireshark has offered various features such as-
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis is available in the software
- Standard three-pane packet browser provided
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- The software can capture the network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platform)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text