At I/O 2014, Google has given so many new things to play with throughout this year. Among those, Android L preview comes at the top and also it was the main highlight of Google’s annual developer meet. And soon after that people got excited to get this new mobile operating system on their Android smartphone.
Although its just preview, and even the name of the next Android is not known yet, but still its worth getting your device the taste of next Android version once as it comes with a number of heavy improvements, battery improvements, security improvements and the all new material design UI.
If you are also looking to get this on your LG Nexus 4 then just follow the step-by-step guide. Don’t try this if you have device other than the mentioned above. XDA dev sykopompos has ported the developer preview of the Android L, the beta version for the Nexus 4 for now. Same Android L just working fine on all Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 devices. Now the time is yours to taste it.
Before going through the tutorial, keep one thing in mind that Android L is still in development phase and you might come across to few bugs and errors, you are free to let us know the errors or bugs after getting it into the phone. I hope Google will try to solve all your issues in the coming stable version.
Things to be done
- Your device should be rooted and install at least one custom recovery (CWM or TWRP recovery), click here for the tutorial.
- Download and install Google USB drivers on your PC and enable USB debugging mode on your device, Settings->Application->Developer Option-> check USB debugging mode.
- One more essential thing is, your device must be charge up to 70% to avoid interruption during the tutorial.
- Also you must have to create the backup of everything, such as contacts, messages, images and more.
- Download AndroidL firmware (lpv-79-mako-port-beta-2.zip)
How to update LG Nexus 4 to Android L
- Its time to plugin your device to your PC using the USB cable and then copy the .zip into the device’s SD card.
- Now remove your device
- Boot into Fastboot mode on your device now. Here is how to do that, Switch off your device and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- As you enter into fasboot mode use volume Kkys to navigate between the options and select any option with Power Key. Select “Recovery mode” here.
- Now you are in recovery mode, among several option, select “Wipe Factory Data/Reset” and confirm the wipe.
- Next, go to “mounts and storage” and select “format/system” and press the power key to confirm the selection.
- Now, select “Install Zip > browse the Zip from SD card you just copied ( locate lpv-79-mako-port-beta-2.zip) > confirm installation “.
- As you press the power key, it will quickly begin flashing the Android L Preview on your device.
- Once the flashing is finished, wipe cache from the recovery, and dalvik cache from advanced options.
- Now select “reboot system now”.
- For the first time it might take little time to start compares to normal startup time, so don’t be panic if it takes time to boot.
Now enjoy, if you have any query, just comment them below, I will try to sort out those issues.