Back in June Google launched Android L and has successfully ported the developer preview on the Nexus 5 and 7. However, since the release of the preview, developers have been trying to port the operating system on every device at their disposal. The most recent device to get a taste of Android L is the HTC One M7.
The Android L is considered to be in Alpha stages of testing, which means there are bugs galore. The reason behind the developer preview is so that developers can get an idea of how to develop their apps for the next version of Android. Its purpose is to give the look and feel of the OS rather than give people a bug free version of the OS that’s incomplete. For example, the Android L preview running on the HTC One losses the basic functionality of data, the camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, and even sound.
So, to help you guys, I am here with a simple and easy to follow tutorial to Update HTC One M7 to Android L Developer Preview.
- Your device should be rooted and install at least one custom recovery(CWM or TWRP recovery).
- Download and install Google USB drivers on your PC and enable USB debugging mode on your device, Settings->Application->Developer Option-> check USB debugging mode.
- Your device must be charge up to 70% to avoid interruption while following the tutorial.
- Also you must have to create the backup of everything, such as contacts, messages, images and more.
- Download l_developer_preview_m7_alpha_1.zip (Android L Preview)
How to Update HTC One M7 to Android L Developer Preview
- Plugin your device to your PC using the USB cable and then copy the .zip into the device’s SD card then remove your device
- Boot into Fastboot mode on your device now. Here is how to do that, Switch off your device and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- As you enter into fastboot mode use volume Keys to navigate between the options and select any option with Power Key. Select “Recovery mode” here.
- Now you are in recovery mode, among several option, select “Wipe Factory Data/Reset” and confirm the wipe.
- Next, go to “mounts and storage” and select “format/system” and press the power key to confirm the selection.
- Now, select “Install Zip > browse the Zip from SD card you just copied ( l_developer_preview_m7_alpha_1.zip) > confirm installation “.
- As you press the power key, it will quickly begin flashing the Android L Preview on your HTC One M7.
- Once the flashing is finished, wipe cache from the recovery, and dalvik cache from advanced options.
- Now select “reboot system now”.
You are done now, just wait for the device to start, it might takes little more time than usual, so don’t be panic if it is taking boot.