Last week Sony has rolled out the most latest or may be the last Android KitKat version 4.4.4 to Xperia Z series smartphones including Z, ZR and ZL. Tough the updates brings most of the security and performance tweaks rather than going through the UI modifications. Its good to see that Sony is no more hesitating to offer latest updates and firmware updates to their consumers.
This tutorial is basically for those who love to work with root access on their device, also those who are not able to get the latest KitKat update, then just head over to the internet and search for the tutorial to unroot Xperia Z series devices, do it and get the official update right on your Phone. And then follow this guide to get the root access again.
This guide is only for them who have updated their above listed devices to KitKat 4.4.4, else you first need to get the update and then go through this step by step guide.
Also if you are novice and trying to root your device for the first time, then see below the advantages of having rooted Android smartphone:
- Remove apps that were pre-installed by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Free up storage space (because of the above benefit).
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Increase performance (after removing apps that are always running, the device will be less bogged down and run smoother).
- Many of other customization options are there you can get by flashing a custom ROM that requires root access.
- This will void the warranty of your device.
- Download and install proper USB drive, you might use Samsung Kies.
- The process mentioned below requires a Windows PC.
- You must have installed proper driver on your PC.
- You must have enabled the USB debugging on your device (Settings > Developer options > USB debugging).
Files to download
- Download Xperia Z firmware ftf file | .283 Kernel Firmware
- Download Xperia XR Firmware ftf file | .283 Kernel Firmware
- Download Xperia XL Firmware ftf file | .283 Kernel Firmware
How to root Sony Xperia Z, ZR, ZL on KitKat 4.4.4
- Download the firmware update file for your Z/ZR/ZL.
- Copy the downloaded firmware ftf file to firmware folder, which can be located under the Flashtool installation directory.
- Now open Flashtool.exe on your windows PC.
- Hit the tiny lightening button at the top left corner to select the flashmode.
- Now you need to browse the ftf file you have placed inside the Fimware folder.
- At the right hand side, you sill see some checkboxes, except kernel, make all checked.
- Now just tap the flash button, as soon as it detects your device, press volume down key until the process gets completed.
- Now download the OneClickRoot tool, extract it and run the run.bat file
- Now the command prompt windows will ask whether your device have enabled USB debugging or not, it not, do it.
- Now follow the on screen device to root your Xperia Z series.
- Once after getting the root access, follow the steps 2-10 but this time you need to work with .283 kernel.