If you are doing some important work and don’t want let other touch your Windows 7 running PC, locking is the best only option you can do, but the normal Windows 7 lock screen allows anyone to shutdown your PC no matter they know password or not. To restrict them not to even shutdown your PC, you can follow this tutorial and remove Shutdown button from Windows 7 Lock screen.
Editing a system file is not an easy task for a normal Windows user. So today we are going to share another easy way to remove/hide or disable Shutdown button from login screen. This tutorial will work with almost all Windows Platform such as XP, Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.
Note: You are going to modify a system file so make sure you doing only what it has mentioned here in this post. Don’t make any changes from your side.
Method 1:Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
- Press Windows+R button to get the Run windows at the left bottom screen on the desktop, now type regedit.exe there and hit enter.
- Now, carefully find the path given below in the Regedit,
- At the right-side pane, look for a DWORD shutdownwithoutlogon. Double-click on it and set its value down to zero (0) as shown in following screenshot:
- Restart or log-off your device to see the changes on your lock screen.
- Anytime if you want to restore it back, just change the DWORD shutdownwithoutlogon value to 1.
Method 2: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
- Here also you need to press Windows+R to get the run window and type this, gpedit.msc
- Now follow the path given below:
Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
- In the right side pane, you will see the, “Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on” option.
- By default the shutdown option will be enabled that you need to make it disable to hide the lock button from the lock screen.
- It will immediately remove the Shutdown button from the lock screen.
- If you again want to restore the changes you have made, just set the “Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on” option to Enabled.