Metadata is nothing but the data of data, which contains the information about the file and helps easier to find the important such as origin, description, dates and more. They can be called as the blocks of the digital file and the file may be untraceable and irretrievable without classifying, linking or indexing it to the other related sources.
But the disclosure of the metadata of the files which you want to maintain secret may exploit the privacy of the owner by revealing all his personal information which can be traced by the hackers, stalkers and cyber criminals. If you don’t want your metadata to be stolen by others then here is the tutorial for how to remove the metadata.
Metadata includes the following things
- Information regarding the documents such as author, who modified or reviewed it in past, how much time spent on this file for editing and more.
- Audio files information regarding the name of the audio format, release year, album name and the composer.
- Many of the programs will create the metadata automatically when you start working on them and you can also create the metadata.
How to remove Metadata on Windows 8 to protect privacy
- Go to the folder and give right click on the file which you want to modify.
- After giving right click a drop down will appear and there click on ‘properties’.
- A dialog box will be opened showing the three tabs and click on Details tab and a screen pops up and display the metadata of the file.
- Now click on “Remove properties and Personal information” and a dialog box will be appeared.
- A list of metadata will be seen and select which type of metadata you want to delete or you can delete everything.
- You can also create the backup for the metadata by creating the copy of the document.
- Finally click on OK and the settings are applied.
Thats it, you have removed the metadata of your files from your Windows 8 PC and protect the secret files from others.