The latest update 1 developer Preview for Windows Phone 8.1 brings many updates. This update brings the beta variant of Cortana for UK and China, with an alpha variant for India, Australia and Canada. And now this Windows Phone 8.1 update makes your Cortana more useful, means now you can use Cortana on your’s Windows Smartphone, even the Smartphone is locked.
Using the Cortana when the phone was locked before Update 1 only gave you access to controlling your music and the ability to initiate calls. Now, after the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 developer Preview, you are able to use Cortana to ask questions and get results.
If you are worried this might allow someone to snoop around your Smartphone when it’s locked? Now for this the Swiping over to the Phone pivot would not show you the results you would see if your Windows Phone was unlocked. And there is also another little feature making Cortana (and Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1) very useful.
Except these features the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 also brings numbers of added features such as-
- Improvements to video capture meta data tags (not sure what it means)
- Support for Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Disable voice mail phone number display
- OEMs can set a list of MCC/MNC pairs in the purchase order (PO)
- OEMs can configure a phone book entry for Cortana to allow users to start speech from a car
- Something with Phone cover settings
- OEMs will be able to hide the “Automatic search for updates” function
- Something with building images with user-managed software buttons
- Support for entity extraction in the Messaging app