The very popular firmware developer team, CyanogenMod has released the new CM11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 custom ROM to Sony Xperia Z series but as of now it is only available to Zperia Z Ultra Phablet. It’s also coming to more devices as is still in testing phase to other devices.
The new CM11 M9 ROM is based on the Android Open Source Project v4.4.4 KitKat and is said to offer more customization options to enhance the performance, boost the battery backup, transform the basic KitKat UI with new visual interface, easy access to important apps and loads of personalization options you can checkout in details:
- Double-tap to sleep when using secure keyboard
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
- Additional improvements and highlighting option for ‘Settings’ search
- New Email – with a fix for saving attachments to storage for POP (Post Office Protocol)3 accounts
- Translation options (developed by CM Crowdin Team)
- Data usage info (additional support for CDMA devices without SIM cards)
- Performance improvement in ‘Torch’
- Safe headset volume prompt option (when interfering with third party device – Jawbone, Square, etc.)
- Additional Proximity wake-up support option – prevents accidental wake-up of device (when kept in bag or pocket), by using sensor.
- Spam notification filtering
- Bluetooth improvements (adds A2DP profiles)
- Centre clock support
- AVRCP 1.5 disable default option introduced for Bluetooth feature to fix various car unit compatibility issues
Things you need to check before flashing the ROM:
- Your device must be rooted before flashing the ROM and also there must be flashed either CWM or TWRP custom Recovery
- This new CyanogenMod Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra (aka Togari) model only; It might damage your device. [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, better you create a complete backup of all your data.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery.
- Download CM11 M9 ROM
How to Install CM11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 custom ROM on Xperia Z Ultra
- At first, connect your device to your PC via USB cable and transfer the ROM file you have just downloaded on your computer to the device’s SD card.
- Disconnect if from your PC and turn it off.
- Now you need to enter into the recovery mode of your device, just follow the same basic rule to do that, press and hold Volume Up+Home+Power Button until you see Sony logo on the screen.
- After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting ‘wipe data/factory reset‘ and then clear the cache memory by selecting ‘Wipe cache partition‘.
- Now go back to the advance menu and this time select the Wipe dalvik cache option.
- Once after doing all these things, select the option ‘install zip from SD card’ from the main recovery menu, it will ask you to browse the ROM (zip) file, browse the file you have transferred to the SD card and press ok to begin the flashing process.
- After completion, just reboot your device, don’t be panic if it takes more time to start, generally it takes more time to start than usual. Sometimes you might gave to wait 20-30 minutes.
Congrats! You have successfully installed the CM11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 custom ROM on Xperia Z Ultra.