Last couple of days people keep asking me for a how to unroot for the new HTC One M8. I searched Google but there is no suitable tutorial for it. Instead, there are pieces of the unrooting process scattered across the web that confused and labor-intensive hunt to just get the device back to stock. After seeing that. but unfortunately I got the complete process to restore or unroot your device back to the stock ROM.
There are a few things to keep in mind, however, before doing this procedure. The method we used HTC’ method to unlock the bootloader, but after unrooting, it still shows bootloader unlocked means technically your warranty is void and you won’t get any software update notifications on your device even after restoring it to the stock.
In this guide we’ll be using Hasoon’s All-in-One toolkit to help execute the process of relocking the bootloader of the HTC One M8, unrooting the device, and some other stuffs where it makes things a bit quicker.
- This method of unrooting will work on all variants of the HTC One M8 (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and International Models).
- This will delete all the information and files from your device, so be sure to save anything you want to keep to your computer before continuing. Better you can create a complete backup of your phone.
- Make sure your battery is over 75% charged to ensure it does not die unexpectedly during this process.
- This only works for PCs.
- On the HTC One M8, go to Settings > Battery Manager > Turn OFF Fastboot.
Files to download
- Head over to the developers page to download the updated Toolkit on your computer. Developer’s Page Link.
- Make sure that you have installed software to extract zip file on your computer.
- Extract the file on your desktop you just downloaded.
How to unroot HTC One M8 2014
Flash the Stock Nandroid Backup
- After extracting the file open the toolkit folder.
- Click on Getvar All under Commands and click Do Command.
- After the device reboots into bootloader mode, close the first command windows and you will see a new one prompt window with a bunch of info. Write down the “version-main” and the “cidnum”. Preferably use notepad to do that.
- Now follow this XDA link to get the nandroid backup for your CID, save it on your computer.
- Reboot your device into normal mode by using volume and power key.
- Now you need to extract the Nandroid backup on your computer, copy the nandroid folder.
- Now go to the device’s internal storage and place the folder in the directory below:
/clockwordmod/backups/ or /TWRP/backups/
- Unplug and turn off your device
- Turn it back on by holding down volume down and power.
- Using the volume keys to navigate and power to select, select recovery.
- Tap on Restore in recovery then choose the backup we just placed on the device. and let it restore it.
Unroot HTC One M8 2014
- Follow this link and find the stock recovery file for your device and save it to your desktop (do NOT extract it).
- Now connect your phone via USB.
- Transfer the .zip file you have downloaded to your device’s SD card.
- Unplug the device and reboot by holding down volume down + power.
- In recovery mode you must have to use volume rocker key, so use the volume keys to navigate recovery and hit power button to select that option.
- Tap Install zip from SD card.
- Choose the unroot .zip file and install it.
- Reboot system now.