If you want to take a screen shot in your Mac operating system when you need, There are many ways to take a screen shot on your Mac operating system. Taking screen shots on your Mac OS x is easy as I mentioned earlier there are various ways to take snap shot which you need.
1. Screen shot a portion of your screen
Simply follow the below steps to take the screen shot of your screen, Which makes easy to understand as well as easy to do so.
- Initially you need to press the Command+shift+4, immediately your cursor will turns in to a small cross reticle
- Once you are done with this Click and drag your cursor to high light the area which you want to take the snap, A grayed rectangular should appear where you drag your cursor.
- Even you can adjust that highlighted area without taking the picture by pressing the ESC button.
- Let go of the mouse, If you hear a camera shutter noise when sound is on, Then your are done with the screen shot.
- Generally this snap shot of screen will saved your desktop as png.file named screen shot label followed by date and time.
2. To Take a Screen shot of Entire Screen
- Make sure your screen displays exactly what you want to take the snap.
- Once your done with this press Command+shift=3 camera shutter noise will come if sound is on.
- You can find your screen shot on your desktop which is saved as screen shot label followed by time and date.
- Earlier versions of OS X will save it as “Picture #”—for example, if it’s the 5th screenshot on your desktop it will be labeled “Picture 5”.
3. Save a screen shot to clip board
- Press Command+control+shift+3 . This method works similar to the above method instead of saving the file immediately it will save in the clipboard, the same temporary storage area where your computer remains the text file where you copied.
- You can also take the portion of your screen shot by pressing command+shift+4.
- Press Command+v or Edit> Paste to paste the image. your screen shot can paste straight to some applications like word document, email services and many more.
4. To Take Screen Shot on open window
- Press command+shift+4 and hit space bar immediately a cross hair turns to small camera, If you again hit space bar which comes back to reticle.
- Once you are done with this click on the cursor to drag on the windows and highlight the portion you want to take the snap shot.
- Through keyboard also you can shift to windows by giving commands such as command+tab in this mode.
- Click on the window, The picture of the window will be saved to the desktop similar to the previous methods which we have discussed.
5. Grab Utility Method.
- Go to applications > Utilities > Grab. This opens the grab application as shown in the below Snap shot
- Once your are done with the opening the Grab application click on the capture which leads to opens four options selection window and screen.
- To take the full screen of your window then you need to click on Capture > Screen or just use keyboard command apple key+ Z which will take the entire screen of your window and stored in the desktop.
- To take the selected portion screen shot you need to click Capture > selection or just use keyboard command apple key + Shift+A.
- To take particular window then you need to click on Capture > window or just use the keyboard command+shift+W, And the captured image will be saved on desktop.
- While closing the window you have to choose the the save option File > save. Also you can use save as to change the name and to be saved.
6. Altering the saved files form default location
- Simply follows the steps to change the saved files from default location to the new location.
- File > New folder a new folder will open after that name the new folder by double clicking on it, Enter your desire name.
- Open the terminal, you need to go to applications > utilities > finder > terminal
- In the command line, copy defaults write com. apple. screen capture location make sure to give space after location. Don’t click return.
- Once you done with this drag the folder you want in to the terminal window, This will add the new designation to command line.
- Click return to appear new command line.
- Kill all system UI server into command line and hit return this resets the terminals and allow the changes effect.
- Be careful not to delete the new folder, otherwise you have to recreate it
7. Additional Methods
- By using sketch you can able to edit the screen shots which you have taken and easily can be uploaded to the web.
- Mono snap is also a powerful snap tool, screen shot can be uploaded in to the cloud. And can be open in the external editor.
- Jing is similar to the sketch, By using this you can take screen shot and uploaded directly in to the web and aslo use it to take videos of your screen.
Shortcuts to take screen shorts
- Command+shift+3 Take a screen shot of the screen and save as a file in the desktop.
- Command+shift+4 Then select the area, Take the screen shot of the area you have highlighted and save as file in the desktop.
- Command+shift+4 and hit the space bar when click window, take the screen shot of the window and save as file in the desktop.
- Command+control+shift+3 take the screen shot of the screen and save it in the clip board.
- Command+control+shift+4 then select the area, take the screen shot of the highlighted area and save it to the clip board.
- Command+control+shift+4 then space and click the window take the screen shot of the window and save it to the clip board.