If you still feel proud having the original Galaxy Gear, you would have heard Samsung set to go with Tizen rather than being with Android in its recent update. This is not completely a bad thing as it wants to keep all its wearable device’s OS in the same category, but for those who rooted the Gear earlier, you might be left wondering if Tizen capable of giving you root access like Android did. Well, it is rootable and yes, now you can get the root access on the Galaxy Gear with the tutorial given below:
Here are the privileges you will get after getting the root access on Samsung Galaxy Gear running tizen,
Advantages of rooting Samsung Wearable
- Remove apps that were pre-installed by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
- Increase performance, allows you manage running apps automatically.
- Update to a new version of Android (by flashing a custom recovery/ROM, see the end of this procedure for more info on that).
- Tons of other customization when you use your new-found administrative rights to flash a custom ROM.
- Automatically free up storage space
- Increase battery life.
- The guide is strictly for the Galaxy Gear you have runs the new Tizen, not for the Android.
- Download and install the proper USB driver on your computer, download from here.
- You wearable should be charged up to 70%.
Files to download
How to root Samsung Galaxy Gear o Tizen
- Extract the downloaded Odin v3.08 on your PC and save it on your desktop.
- Go to the extracted folder and execute the Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Put your phone into download mode, to do so, turn off your device; turn it on, and as soon as you see the Galaxy Gear logo, press the power button 5-6 times until it enters Download mode.
- Now go to the Odin windows, click on AP and browse the file named v700_rootfs.img.tar which you just downloaded on your PC.
- Now connect your Galaxy gear to your PC, Odin will automatically detect your device, if not reinstall the USB drivers on your PC.
- It is recommended to check that the Re-Partition and Flash Lock are unchecked; you might brick your device if these options are ticked!
- Click on start to begin rooting
- After completion just reboot your galaxy gear.
Congrats!, You have successfully rooted Samsung Galaxy Gear running Tizen OS.