Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile (Sprint’s two prepaid brands) introduced the new LG Volt, a new Android smartphone that appeared first a week back. Both Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile are selling the Volt for $179.99 – without contract. Globally this device known as LG L90. Almost all the specifications are same except the name.
LG Volt LS740 has the 4.7 inch qHD IPS LCD capacitive touch display with the resolution of 540 x 960 pixels. It is powered by a decent 1.2 GHz Quad core Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400 processor and runs on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat out-of-the-box. It has the 1 GB RAM along with 8 GB internal memory that can be expandable up to 32 GB using micro SD card. It comes in two variants which features the 8 MP and 5 MP primary camera depending on the market with auto focus and LED flash and 1.3 MP rear camera.
If you are here to root LG Volt LS740 then get set to follow the steps mentioned below. This rooting tutorial is applicable on LG Volt LS740, LG L90/L70. So make sure that you have checked your device model before getting into the rooting process.
- Make sure that battery of the device is more than 70%, rooting consumes more battery and avoid the unnecessary shutdowns.
- Rooting is not an authorized process and voids the warranty of the device.
- Download and install USB drivers from on your device from here.
- Before rooting back up all your data on the phone memory, because rooting wipes out all the data on phone memory.
- Enable the USB debugging on your device by going to Settings>>Applications>>Developer Options>>USB debugging.
- Rooting allows you to customize with many new options such as frees up the internal memory, improves the battery life and more that you can’t do as a normal user.
Files to download
- Download – Ext2Fsd
- Download – MiniTool Partition Wizard
- Download – SDK or ADB
- Download – iRoot 25r1.zip
- Download – Rootchecker
How to root LG Volt LS740 on KitKat 4.4
- First of all check you have installed the LG drivers on your computer or not.
- Connect your SD card to the PC using the card reader and format the SD card into Ext2 using mini tool partition wizard.
- Now transfer the update.zip file to the SD card after formatting.
- Then install ADB and make sure it has proper permission.
- Now open Command prompt on your PC
- Now you need to connect your device to your PC (Don’t put the SD card now)
Note: as your device boot into recovery mode, disconnect your device and insert the SD card to your device).
- Go for the option called apply update from the SD card using the power button browse the update.zip which you have transferred to your SD card and begin the process.
- Device reboots when zip file finishes the flashing,
Here is an alternate method you can go for, some people getting issues with the above tutorial, so better you can follow this one, I’m sure this will be fine.
Alternate Working method to root LG Volt
1. Download “Towelroot apk” (do a google search and it should be by Geohot)
2. Tap the “Make it ra1n” button
3. Install busybox installer from the play store
4. Install busybox within the busybox installer.
6. Install Supersu from the play store.
7. Run Supersu, it will update binaries
9. Download Root Checker from the play store.
10. Open root checker and Voila, you LG Volt is rooted. (Works 100% of the time.)
Great! You have successfully rooted your LG Volt LS740, to check whether your device got rooted or not, install the app Rootchecker you have downloaded earlier or else you can find this app on Google Play Store, install it and enjoy.