In very short period of time the OnePlus One become popular worldwide, there is now doubt OnePlus One changed our mind about high-end smartphones. Devices like HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2 all come with outstanding specs but with very they set high price for them as well. OnePlus One is the first smartphone I have come across in the world with a 13 MP rear and 5 MP front camera, 2.5 GHz Snapdragon 801 CPU, 3 GB RAM, 5.5-inch Full HD Display, Adreno 330 GPU, 16GB/64GB storage option, huge 3100 mAh Battery with LTE Connectivity with a price 100$ less than the very popular LG Nexus 5. Another good good thing about this device is that OnePlus One comes with CyanogonMod 11S ROM based on Android Kitkat version 4.4. But the device is not rooted but now you can root it manually by following the steps mentioned below. This post is all about How to root and Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus One.
Benefits of having root access
- You can install any Custom ROMs after rooting and Custom Recovery for better performance and user interface.
- Increase battery life (apps that might have been running constantly can be removed).
- Update to a new version of Android with Custom ROMs before official update.
- Free up storage space by removing apps and services that were pre-installed by your carrier/manufacturer from your device.
Things to be done
- This is a Windows based guide so you need to handy with Windows PC enabled internet as well.
- This has been tested and its working great with only OnePlus One, so don;y try this on other device.
- Enable USB debugging mode, go to Settings->Applications and for for developer options to do so.
- Install USB drivers on your computer and charge your device up to 70%.
- Create backup.
- Download and Setup ADB and fastboot on your computer. Click Here for the tutorial.
- Download – Official TWRP image File name: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-bacon.img
- Download – Flashable SuperSU, File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r3.zip
How to root and Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus One
How to install TWRP on OnePlus One
- First of all rename the openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-bacon.img to twrp.img.
- Now copy it to the platform-tool folder in the Android SDK directory on the computer. Make sure that the location of the TWRP image should be the same as ADB and Fastboot files.
- Now connect your device using USB cable and transfer the SuperSU zip file to your device’s SD card.
- Open the ADB & Fastboot folder on desktop. Press Right Click while holding SHIFT key inside the folder. Just Right Click and a menu will appear. Select Open Command window here.
- Now again connect your device using the USb cable.
- Type the following command
adb reboot bootloader
- You device will now reboot into download mode, then execute this command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now you have installed TWRP on your OnePlus One.
How to root OnePlus One
- Reboot your device into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down+Power button.
- In recover mode select the option called “install zip from SD card” and browse the SuperSu fil that you have transfered to your device’s SD card.
- Follow instructions and confirm flashing.
- Wait for few minutes until it completes.
- Reboot OnePlus One.
That’s great! Successfully installed TWRP recovery and Rooted OnePlus One smartphone.