You would have accidentally deleted the bookmarks on Google Chrome and you want them now. This is not such easy task with Google Chrome. Chrome contains a single and hidden bookmark backup file and it can be restored manually and is overwritten frequently. It is some what difficult task to restore the deleted bookmarks on Chrome.
How to restore deleted bookmarks on Google Chrome
You need to be careful with the Chrome browser, because it doesn’t have the Undo option, so if you delete the entire bookmarks folder there is no obvious way to recover them. If you have done the backup with the export option, you can import the backup and restore the deleted bookmarks, but the backup may be out of date.
- Don’t close and reopen the Google Chrome browser. If the browser is already closed leave it closed. Chrome saves the backup of the bookmarks and it overwrites every time you launch the Google Chrome.
- Now launch the Windows explorer on your PC and type the below link in the address bar.
In the place of NAME type the administrator name of your computer.
- This will take you the folder containing two files by names Bookmarks and Bookmarks.bak. Bookmarks.bak is the most recent backup file, which is saved when you last opened your chrome browser.
- If there is no bookmarks.bak file in the folder you can see the two files with the name bookmarks and click on the Organize menu and select the “Folder and search options”.
- Now in the folder options window click on the view tab and check for the “Hide extensions for the known file types” and click on it and then you can now see the previously hidden .bak file.
- Now restore the backup, to do so close all the chrome browser windows and now delete the bookmarks file and rename the bookmarks.bak file to bookmarks.
- Now you will be able to see the bookmarks when you relaunch your chrome browser and any bookmarks you created since the launch of the Google Chrome were lost, because it overwrites everytime when you launch the Google Chrome.