Your MacBook Pro is acting sluggish, or become downright ornery. It means your MacBook is not working properly and want to restore your Apple MacBook Pro. There are two methods with the help of which you are restoring your MacBook Pro. I will tell you both the methods step by step, by which your Mac becomes fast as like a new one.
Steps : To Restore Apple MacBook Pro
First Method – Resetting the SMC
- Step1 : Try to troubleshoot your Mac before performing an SMC reset- The SMC reset mainly controls the fan and power settings of your MacBook, and may be the only way to fix certain malfunctions. Before attempting it, you should follow some basic troubleshooting steps.
- First of all you have to Try to force quit unresponsive programs before attempting an SMC reset. You have to Press the Command + Option + Escape to force quit an application.
- Now try to put your MacBook into Sleep mode by clicking the Apple menu and selecting the Sleep. Then it will go to Sleep, press a key to wake it up.
- Now you have to try restarting your MacBook by clicking the Apple menu and selecting Restart.
- Now try shutting down your system and then restarting it. You can also shut down the Mac through the Apple menu, or if that doesn’t work, press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds.
- Step2 : Now Check What are the symptoms –There are several symptoms which are directly related to the SMC. If your MacBook is experiencing these after, then you have tried the above troubleshooting steps, you may need to perform an SMC reset:
- The fans are loud and running at high speed even the system is not hot
- The Indicator lights (battery, backlights, etc.) are not working properly.
- The MacBook doesn’t respond to pressing even the Power button.
- The computer shuts itself down or goes to sleep unexpectedly.
- The battery does not charge properly of the system.
- Step3 : Now Perform an SMC reset on a MacBook with a removable battery. If you have an easily removable battery in your MacBook, follow these steps. If your MacBook’s battery is not easily removable, skip to Step 4:
- First of all Shut down the system and disconnect the power cord if it is currently plugged in.
- Now you have to Remove the battery from the back of the MacBook.
- After that Press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds, and then release the Power button.
- Now Reinsert the battery and connect the power cable. And then Press the Power button to turn the computer on.
- Step4 : Perform an SMC reset on a MacBook without a removable battery. If you have a slim MacBook without an easily-accessible battery, follow these steps to reset your SMC:
- Shut down the computer.
- Plug the power cord into the MacBook and the power source.
- Press the Left Shift + Control + Option keys and the Power button at the same time.
- Release all of the keys and the Power button at the same time.
- Press the Power button to turn the computer back on
- Step 5 : Now Verify the problem has been resolved- If you are still having issues with your MacBook, you may need to wipe it and re-install your operating system. You will lose any data which you have saved on the MacBook. Now have to follow the steps in the next section to re-install the OS on the Mac.
Second Method – Factory Resetting Your MacBook Pro
- Step1 : Now Backup all your’s important data- When you reset your MacBook, you will be deleting the data on your computer and reinstalling the operating system. It means you will lose everything which you had saved on your hard drive. Back up those things that you want to keep, either by copying selected files to an external drive or DVD, or by using the Time Machine program.
- Step2 : Now you have to Boot to the Recovery HD. Reboot your computer and hold down the Command + R keys. It will load the Recovery function. Now you have to Select the Recovery HD.
- Step3 : Select the Disk Utility. Click the Continue button. When Disk Utility loads, you will be shown a list of your hard disks. Select the Macintosh HD disk and click the Erase tab.
- For some users, their primary disk may have been renamed and may not be called Macintosh HD. Select whichever disk is your primary hard disk.
- Step4 : You have selected the disk format- You will see several options for the disk format. You Have to select the Mac OS Extended. And then Click on the Erase button. For deleting the old data it will take a few minutes
- Step5 : Now Close Disk Utility –You will be returned to the Recovery menu. Select “Reinstall OS X” and then click the Install button. This will begin the installation process for OS X.
- You will require a working internet connection in order to download and install OS X. You can also check your connection by clicking the connection icon, which is available in the upper-right corner of the screen of the system.
- If you need to install Snow Leopard or earlier, check out
- Step6 : Begin the installation – Once the installation has started, you will be asked to read and agree to the Terms and Conditions. If you have accepted them, then you will need to specify the hard drive which you want to install OS X too. By default the Macintosh HD drive should be selected.
- Step 7 : Wait for the complete installation to finish – This process could take between 30-60 minutes, which depending on your computer. It well may be asked to enter your Apple ID to verify the purchase of OS X (if in the case you have upgraded the OS variant). Now, once the installation is complete, then your Mac will be factory reset, and will act as if you had just taken it out of the box.
- You will need to reinstall your old programs and software and restore your backed up files to where you want them on your fresh system.