At the time of Windows installation it is very easy to make the partition at the setup allows you direct option to do that but after that the thing goes little complex. Windows operating has all the features that you can perform your specific task. Here also Windows provides tools to divide a drive into two. You can partition a drive into as many you can that depends on the size of the hard disk.
If you are also looking to learn how to to Partition Hard Disk in Windows 7, even if you are on Windows 8, then also you can use this process. Make sure that you have enough space free on your hard drive before going through the process mentioned below.
Trust me, process is really very simple and easy to follow, even take merely a few minutes to finish everything. You just need to follow the steps as mentioned below. If you get any difficulties doing this, must drop a comment mentioning those issues, I will try to solve them as soon as I get time.
How to Partition Hard Disk in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- Go to your desktop and right click on the My Computer or This PC and select the option called “Manage”.
- A new windows open, from there tap “Disk Management“.
- As Disk Management opens, you should be prompted with an Initialize Disk window advising that “you must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.”
- In that window you will see all the drives you have on your computer, select the drive you want to partition.
- If your hard drive is new and there is no other drive, it will probably be on a dedicated row labeled Disk 1, or some number other than zero, and say Unallocated.
Note: Maximize your Disk Management windows to see all the drives clearly.
- Once you got the drive you want to make a new partition, just right-click anywhere on the Unallocated space and choose New Simple Volume….
- A new setup wizard will open, click OK to go into the next option, there it will ask you to provide the size you want on the disk, choose as per your need. You can use the rest Unallocated space to make a new partition next time.
- Again, you need to Assign Drive Letter or Path, since your new partition will need a drive letter.
- Windows 7 or 8 automatically formats the new drive, since this guide is targeted at partitioning a hard drive, let’s wait to format the drive until we are done making the partition.
Choose Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
- Next after that you see the a quick Summary of partition you chose.
Check that the settings shown are similar to this:
- Volume Type: Simple Volume
- Disk selected: Disk 1
- Volume size: 1925 MB
- Drive letter or path: G:
- File system: None
- Allocation unit size: Default
- After completing everything just click on Finish to begin Windows disk partition, your mouse will disappear for a few seconds, once it is started showing on the disk management tool means the partition of the hard drive is finished.
- After doing everything, when you go to use the drive you have just created, the windows will prompt an alert to first format this drive to “You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?“
- Just format the drive, make sure that the file type you have chosen must be NTFS, otherwise you won’t be able to use that drive.
Whoa! You have successfully partition your Windows 7 or Windows 8 hard drive, if you find this article helpful then share it with your buddies, also if you have any doubt or query related to the Windows operating system then any time you can ask them by just commenting below in the specified place.