You might have partitioned your hard drive into two or more partitions and one of the partition must be having some free space and you need to move that free space to the other partition. You cannot use the built-in disk management tool to move the free space with in the partition or to merge the free space with the other partition.
Why free space should be moved
When you partition the hard disk when installing the Windows on your computer, you would have partitioned keeping some thing in mind. For example when partitioning you would have allocated 160 GB to C drive and 80 GB to D drive and 80 GB to E drive. But after sometime you want more space to be allocated for D drive and there will be some free memory in C drive, so you will take some free memory from C drive to D drive.
In this I am going to explain how to move free space on Windows from one partition to the other. For this you need to download AOMEI partition assistant from here.
- First Download and install the AOMEI partition assistant tool form the download given above.
- Launch the tool after installing and select the drive which has the adequate free memory and right click on it.
- After giving the right click a drop down menu will be opened and there select Allocate free space.
- A pop up window will be opened then and choose the amount of the free space you want to merge with the other partition.
- After selecting the certain amount of memory click on OK and click on Apply to apply the size partition.
- That’s it, you have successfully moved the free space on one partition to the other partition.
AOMEI partition tool also offers some other ways to transfer the free space from one partition to another partition such as Resize/move partition, split partitions, merge partitions, copy partition, clone disk, dynamic disk management and more.