In this guide, we will talk about how to jailbreak iPhone 3GS running iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w. You can jailbreak iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w but it will be a tethered jailbreak. To get rid of this tethered jailbreak simply install posixpwm from cydia after jailbreak. Let’s jailbreak this quite outdated iPhone which being used by many people.
The Apple iPhone 3GS was launched back in 2009 with 3.13 MP camera, 320×480 display screen powered by 650 MHz processor. Jailbreaking this device is not much difficult but the most important thing to avoid any damage to follow the procedure as mentioned in this post.
However, to avoid damages and issues first read this completely and clear your doubts by throwing a comment, I will try to solve them as soon as I can.
Things to care before Jailbreaking
- This guide is only for iPhone 3GS
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 will be used in this guide that supports a tethered jailbreak only. Which means after every reboot, you’ll have to connect your device to your computer in order to boot into jailbreak mode, except for the iPhone 3Gs with old bootROM.
- Backup your personal files and data completely before proceeding and install latest iTunes.
- RedSn0w does not directly support iOS 6.1.6. Actually this method uses iOS 6.0 firmware to jailbreak iOS 6.1.6, so you may encounter unknown issues.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to iOS 6.1.6
- First of all update you existing iOS version to 6.1.6, if you are already running the same then skip this.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 [Mac, Windows] and extract it.
- Download iOS 6.0 firmware to your desktop from the given download link.
- Connect your iPhone 3GS to your PC, and run the RedSn0w app that you extracted in Step 2. (Windows users have to make some changes before launching the app, first change the compatibility by right click on the app icon and select “troubleshoot compatibility” and change it to XP compatible. Then run the app as administrator)
- Click the Extras key > Select IPSW option and then browse and select the downloaded iOS 6.0 firmware that you have downloaded in Step 2. RedSn0w will automatically identify the firmware.
- Move back to the main menu and click on the root button and then select Cydia from the option menu and click next.
- Now the time is to put your device in DFU mode, just follow the on screen instructions to do the same.
- Once your device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start installing the new RAM disk and kernel.
RedSn0w will notify you that this is a tethered jailbreak soon after jailbreak process completes.