These days people don’t bother about installing Windows using CD or DVD, even generally look for the compact one. No doubt, installing windows using DVD is far better than installing from a USB but still go for the second option. The prior reason behind this if we go to make a bootable DVD theme might be a chance of failure that sometimes make your DVD waste. But in case of USB there is nothing like that, we can delete or format data any time, so even it we get any error during making a bootable USB we can recover it by re-formatting it.
There are many ways to install Windows from USB drive, but first you need to have a bootable drive about which we were talking above. Either using a software tool or using Command prompt we can do that, but I won’t favor to follow the complex one because a single mistake can cause failure so choosing the safe site we will follow the first option.
Process which I have mentioned here can install Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Windows XP got outdated that is why I didn’t list in this tutorial. First check out the requirements before getting ready for the tutorial.
- First of all you should be ready with a 4 or 8 GB USB drive, if you are installing Windows Vista or 7 then 4 GB is enough, but for Windows 8 or 8.1 you need to have 8 GB USB drive.
- Whatever Windows you are interested to install should have .ISO file. You can go through the official Microsoft site to download the trial version of Windows ISO file on your computer. Later you can make your Windows genuine.
- Third Party Software for making your USB bootable. Download WinUSB maker or WintoBootic.
- Make sure that throughout the installing session your laptop or PC must be charged or connected with the charger.
- Create a data backup of your PC. If you have something important in your My Documents folder, then go to C:/ ->User->Select the folder you want to backup. Just copy and transfer it to another drive.
How to make a bootable USB drive
If you have checked all the requirements to go through then just follow the step-by-step procedure to get your task done.
- If you want to remove all the data of C drive, then you don’t have to extract the ISO file which you have downloaded, otherwise we can go for alternate methods. As you have already created a backup, then no need to look at the second option.
- Go to the folder where you have downloaded the software for making bootable drive.
- Now it is the time to connect your USB drive to your PC. (No need to check whether you have formatted or not)
- Extract the file and run a file with an .exe extension.
- As soon as the app launches, you see so many options that you don’t need to think at all. Just check it has detected your USB drive or not.
- Now you will an option to browse the ISO file or directory. Browse the IOS file and click on the make Bootable USB.
- Soon after you click, it will ask you to format your USB, allow it to do that.
- Now wait for around 10-20 minutes to complete the process. Once, after completion just remove your USB and plug it again, this time instead or USB icon you will Windows icon for your device that signifies that your USB is now bootable and ready to install Windows.
How to Install Windows from USB drive
- Now your task is to install Windows using the USB you have created for this purpose. Let the device connected to your PC and restart your computer.
- Now it depends on you manufacturer what is the shortcut to go into the boot setup to make few changes.
- There you need to change the priority to boot, make the USB booting priority first and then CD or DVD then your hard drive.
- As you save the changes you have made your PC will restart.
- In the next step it will show “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD”. Press any key and continue.
- Now your task is just to follow the on screen instructions to install Windows On your PC.
If you are facing issues or trying first time to install Windows then you must watch the video below that consists all the required steps to install Windows such as selecting the reformatting the drive where you want to install, etc. For any kind of help you can drop a comment below with the query, I will try my level best to solve them all.