Microsoft has keep changing Windows time to time since its inception, but the recycle bin feature doesn’t changed much. Recycle Bin option in Windows is there to act like a fail-safe i.e, it save us from the accidental and awkward deletions. In the previous Windows versions such as Vista, XP and 7 recycle bin used to display the confirmation dialog box when you want to delete any file from your PC.
But in Windows 8 this has been changed, for example if you have deleted any file then this will directly go to the recycle bin without showing the confirmation dialog box. This feature is good, because it saves the user another step to perform but only for some instances, because this feature prone to some accidental deletions. You even don’t know that the file is deleted unless you search for it specifically.
If you don’t like this feature and want the delete confirmation dialog box on your Windows 8 PC then follow this tutorial to enable the delete confirmation dialogue box.
How to enable delete confirmation dialog box on Windows 8
- To enable the dialog confirmation you need to change the Recycle Bin’s properties. Right click on the Recycle bin icon present on your desktop and select “properties” from options list.
- Check on the checkbox beside to “Display delete confirmation dialog” and then click on “Apply” and “OK” buttons to confirm the changes.
That’s it you’re done, from now Windows 8 will display the delete confirmation dialog box when you want to move any file to recycle bin.
Some users face the problem of checkbox beside to “Display delete confirmation dialog” may be grayed out. For them to enable the delete confirmation dialog box there are two methods.
Using Group Policy Editor
- First press Win+R and type “gpedit.msc” and hit enter. It opens the Windows group policy editor.
- Go to “User Configuration>Administrative templates>Windows Components>Windows Explorer>File Explorer”.
- After going there find “Display confirmation dialog when deleting files” and give double click to open it.
- Here set the status to “Enable” and the delete confirmation is enabled and click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Using Registry Editor
- Press Win+R and type “regedit” and hit enter to open the Windows registry editor”.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.
- On the right pane, create the new DWORD value and with the name “ConfirmFileDelete”.
- By default will be ‘0’ and we need to set the value to ‘1’. For this double click on DWORD and set value data to ‘1’ and click on OK to save changes.
That’s it now you have enabled delete confirmation dialog box on your Windows 8 PC.