In Firefox browser, if you hit Backspace key it works like regular back button and take you to the previous page. Although it is very useful it is quite annoying in some conditions.
- Sometimes you may press Backspace key to delete the type characters from addressbar but the field doesn’t get activated and the browser goes to previous page.
- This action is designed to put the consistency in the Firefox behavior and other Windows apps. In Linux, Backspace key scrolls up in the page and so you want the same behavior in Windows as well.
If you find this feature irritating and you want to disable or customize it then this tutorial will help you definitely.
How to customize Backspace Key in Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox and type about:config in the address bar and then hit enter. It will confirm now and click on I will be careful, I promise button.
- Now type Backspace in the Filter box and search for the following key
- By default browser.backspace_action would be set to 0, you can change its value to any of the following depending on your requirements.
- 1-To change its action to scroll up in the page. You can use the Shift+Backspace to scroll down.
- 2-To disable it
- That’s it you are done, now the backspace button will function according to your requirement. In future if you want to restore the action, just change its value to 0 or right click on the key and select Reset.