Apple has recently unveiled bigger iPad Air 2 alongside the compact version iPad Mini 3 on October 16. Meanwhile, the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 10.1 was released back in July. Readers who are interested in the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 10.1 or the latest Apple iPad Air 2 (9.7-inch) tablets can read this complete comparison between iPad Air 2 and Galaxy Note Pro 10.1.
Apple iPad Air 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 10.1
Design and Display
iPad Air 2 again goes slimmer compared to iPad Air, has a sleek aluminium body with a thickness or just 6.1 mm and weighs only 444 grams, also Apple claims it to be the worlds’s slimmest tablet in the market. The iPad Air 2 will be available in three different shades gray, silver and gold. While the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 10.1 features a whopping 10.1-inch Super AMOLED display with an impressive 2560 x 1600 pixels resolution.
Speaking of size, the Samsung tablet comes with a thickness and weight of 7.3 mm and 469 g respectively, while Apple device is 6.1 mm thick and weighs 437 g. Hence the Apple iPad Air 2 is both thinner and lighter than the Note Pro 10.1. Apart from design and display the main this which is absent in Note Pro is, it doesn’t support voice calling or any GSM connectivity.
Processor, RAM and Storage
The iPad Air 2, on the other hand, is powered by a relatively inferior dual-core (Apple A8) processor and it comes with only 1 GB of RAM. However, Apple says the A8 processor can offer up to 40 percent better CPU performance than the predecessor iPad Air. The Wi-Fi only variant of the Galaxy Note Pro is powered by an octa-core (Exynos 5) Cortex-A7 processor, clocked at a combination of four 1.9 GHz cores and four 1.3 GHz cores and it houses a solid 2 GB of RAM.
In terms of storage, iPad Air 2 comes with three storage based variants 16GB, 64GB and 128GB and also there isn’t any slot to extend its memory via memory card while the Note Pro tablet offers two 16GB and 32GB variant along with an external slot for memory expansion up to 64GB.
Camera and Software
Talking more about the software installed on both the devices, the iPad Air 2 runs on iOS 8.1, while the Galaxy Note Pro runs on latest Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS along with TouchWiz UI from Samsung.
In terms of camera, both tablets has got an 8 MP camera at the back supports HD recording but if we talk about front shooter, iPad Air has only 1.2 MP camera while Galaxy Note Pro packs 2 MP of front shooter.
Battery and Pricing
Apple hasn’t revealed the exact specs of battery packed with iPad Air 2 but according to ValueWalk, the Cupertino company has revealed that this version of iPad offers around 10 hours of talktime. While the Galaxy Note Pro 10.1 tablet offers a Non-removable Li-Ion 8220 mAh battery claims to offer around 10 hrs backup(multimedia).
Finally coming to the pricing of these two devices, its clear that iPad Air 2 is costlier than Galaxy Note Pro. When it comes to pricing, the iPad Air 2 seems to be costlier than any tablet in the market in this range. The 16 GB iPad Air 2 is priced at $499, the 32 GB edition comes at $599 and the 128 GB variant is for $699. These prices are of Wi-Fi only version of iPad Air 2. The cellular + Wi-Fi models are priced at $629 for base model, 64 GB edition has a price tag of $729 and the 128 GB edition is available for $829. The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (16 GB, WiFi) model is priced at $359.99 to $609.99.
iPad Air 2 full Specifications
- Display 9.7 inch Retina Display with 2058 x 1536
- Processor : A8X chip with M8 motion co-processor
- Memory : 2 GB
- Operating System : Apple iOS 8.1
- Buit-in Storage : Available in 16 64 GB and 128 GB variant
- External Storage : not available
- Camera : 8 Mega-pixel camera with LE flash
- Connectivity : Wifi 802.11ac, GPS and 3G and 4G network connectivity
- Weight : near around 450 grams
- Color : Silver, Grey and Gold
- Battery : delivers up to 10 hours battery life
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 10.1 Specifications
- Display: 10.1 inches Super clear LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Processor: Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7
- Memory: 2 GB
- Operating System: Android KitKat 4.4.4 with Samsung TouchWiz UI
- Buit-in Storage: Available in 16/32 GB variant
- External Storage: Expandable up to 64 GB via micro SD card.
- Camera: 8 Mega-pixel camera with LE flash, 2 MP from shooter
- Connectivity: Wifi 802.11ac, GPS
- Weight: 469 grams
- Color: White and Grey
- Battery: delivers up to 11 hours of multimedia usage