The Mail app which comes pre-loaded with Windows 8 operating system doesn’t support POP3 email but supports only IMAP, Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, Microsoft Exchange and Gmail accounts. When you are setting up the account, Mail offers POP3 as an option, but if you select it a message will be shown that POP3 protocol is not supported.
POP3 email account gives the features like live tile email notifications and the touch friendly interface for reading the email. Here is the trick to access to read the POP3 mails from your Windows 8 PC.
How to access POP3 email accounts in Windows 8
To access the POP3 mail accounts on Windows 8 you need to use the Outlook/Hotmail or Gmail accounts, because these email provides has the built in function which fetches the mail from the POP3 mail server and stores in the Gmail or Outlook.com account. If you want to access the POP3 mail then the trick is to configure one of these email providers to retrieve and store the email from your POP3 mail account in webmail.
Using Gmail and Outlook.com
- Log in to your Gmail account or Outlook.com which you have and go to “Settings”.
- Click on “Account and Import”.
- Now click on the option “Add a POP3 mail account you own”.
- Carefully follow the on screen instructions which you need to enter the POP3 server address, email id, password and port number.Using Outlook.com
Add Gmail or Outlook.com to the Windows 8 mail app
- Open the Mail app on your Windows 8 PC and open the settings charm.
- Click on the “Accounts” option and click on “Add an account”.
- Select either Outlook or Gmail depending on which webmail provider you are using.
- Now sign into your webmail account.
Success, now your Windows 8 Mail app now displays the emails from the POP3 mail account.